Yorkshire Stone Paving For Outdoors
Yorkshire paving stones seem to be more expensive than the normal stone steps due to the reclaimed varieties that cannot be quarried. Its origins come from West Yorkshire in the late 17th century, where Yorkshire stone was used for stepping stones, paving, roofing and masonry. Yorkshire stone on its own consists of quartz, mica, clay, feldspar and iron oxides.
Yorkshire stone paving and Yorkshire stepping stones are well known for their high quality and unique heritage. Whilst it was used back in the day to build houses, nowadays it’s a popular material being used when paving front yards, backyards and driveways.
Yorkshire stone paving comes in different types and has unique characteristics. Below you will find the types of stone paving we offer and how we can model the ideal layout for your project.
Yorkshire Paving Stone Types:
- Yorkshire stone crazy paving – it is not crazy, but rather eye-catching. The layout of crazy stone paving allows you to put a mix of stone shapes next to each other, making an abstract paving design. This types of Yorkshire paving stones gives you a wide range of colours and textures. It creates a stunning visual effect in any outdoor exterior space and makes it an easy material to work with.
- Reclaimed Yorkstone paving – This type is perfect for paths, gardens and driveways. It is equivalent to the newest Yorkstone paving. You can choose from premium or character reclaimed Yorkshire stone paving. It comes from most iconic sites across the UK carrying it’s element of beauty in every paving project. Highest feedback for reclaimed Yorkstone paving due its tested durability and easy maintenance.
- Natural aged Yorkstone paving – Aged Yorkstone is one of the most popular alternatives for reclaimed Yorkstone paving. It’s smooth, neat and weather durable in all conditions, which makes it a stone for more luxurious and modern looking patios.
- Riven Yorkstone paving – riven stone is individually hand-finished with split sides, which makes it an ideal stone to use for any rustic garden-style designs. Riven Yorkshire paving stones are known to be the traditional choice which have been used in the past as pathways to establish durable paving across temples and historic buildings.
- Sawn Yorkstone paving – suitable for use in interiors and exteriors due to its naturally smooth surface and creates a very contemporary look. Sawn Yorkstone is very light in colour and is one of the most common shades across Yorkshire paving stones.
Yorkshire Paving Stone Installation Process:
The Yorkshire stone paving installation process is quite straightforward.
Firstly we would determine the space and layout, to understand if we will be laying a flexible or rigid system. Then we have to complete digging.
The next step is the sub-base. This is the layer which ensures durability and gives strength to the surface. Sub-base will also ensure the prolonged life of your patio. This layer is quite important as it will reflect the original profile of the final project design.
This follows with a Yorkshire stone paving bedding layer. It’s meant to hold and support the paving steps. We use this to level out all stones and make sure everything is flat and neat.
Once the base is done, we proceed with laying. Ensuring that the right mix and texture are in place, we lay the paving stones according to your final given profile. Once laying is done, we ensure everything is flat and stable by stepping on the flags and walking around.
Finally, jointing or pointing will add the finishing touches to the overall look. This will ensure that everything is symmetrical and looks nice from close as well as from a distance.
Yorkshire stone block paving – this paving layout gives you a natural pathway look, with symmetrically laid stones. Whilst flagstones would look more abstract, Yorkshire stone block paving gives you a neat and filled look which is ideal for driveways and front paving. Since some of the stones come in natural shapes, it’s often easy to complete a flag layout. Our bespoke masonry workshop can help you cut to size, according to what you are after. There are no limitations and we are here to help.
With our bespoke masonry workshop, we can cut, shape and design your stone according to your project needs. With Yorkstone paving, you can be sure to have a historical look, which will make your patio feel like it has been there for hundreds of years.
Yorkshire stone paving is an excellent and practical choice for your outdoor spaces. Its durability, rustic charm and low maintenance makes it a top choice for patios, paths, driveways and more. Whether you’re looking to enhance your property’s aesthetic or increase its value, Yorkshire stone paving offers a versatile solution. We hope this guide has been informative and helpful. You find our selection of Great British Stone here.
We recommend that before purchasing you contact our team to discuss your project. To hear more about Yorkshire paving stones, feel free to get in touch with us on 01844 279274 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to helping you bring your outdoor vision to life.